WCDSB Mission and Vision
WCDSB Code of Conduct:
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board recognizes the inherent dignity and worth of the individual. All individuals concerned with the school system -trustees, staff, students, parents, visitors to schools –are subject to the following code of conduct; a code of conduct that will be implemented within the Catholic faith life experience of each school community and consistent with the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations, the Safe School’s provisions of the Education Act and Regulations and the constitutional right of Catholic school boards to manage their schools as stated through section 93 of the Constitution Act, 1867. APC 018 Code of Conduct
St. Boniface Historical Overview
This is the oldest Roman Catholic school in the present Regional Municipality of Waterloo (formerly Waterloo County) still in existence. It is believed that as early as 1834 New Germany had a school – probably doubling as a Church. By 1851 a new school was built. This was a two-room structure made of red brick. In the 1851 census it was listed as 30 x 30 feet. One hundred students attended learning German, English, arithmetic, writing, reading, and geography.
Construction on another school began in 1886 and by December 1st of that year the building was blessed and its doors opened to scholars. This school was located in what is now the parking lot beside the new cemetery.
On January 2nd, 1882 the School Sisters of Notre Dame, Sister M. Michael M. Evangelista, and M. Begga arrived to teach in our school and assist the priest. The first lay teachers were Theobald Wadel, Jacob Leyes, Mr. Gforerer, and Mr. Troy. The nuns taught the smaller children. By January 7, 1884 the Sisters had taken over the boy’s school as well.
In September of 1890, the school trustees during the absence of Father Foerster hired a male teacher, Mr. Louis Kraemer, for the older boys. This move was opposed by Father and many rate payers. In 1895 a vote was taken at the August school meeting to decide whether a male teacher was to be hired for 1896. Not one person voted in favour, therefore the Sisters again took over the teaching the older boys.
In 1898, once again the community undertook to erect a new school. The final result was a two story brick school 36 x 64 feet. It consisted of four well-lit and ventilated classrooms, two halls, and cloak rooms. Classes began there on the 16th of October 1898. On June 19th, 1899, the children were called to school by the new bell for the first time. This bell now stands on a special cairn between the school and the Edward Halter Home. The school was surrounded by an immerse playground, which was bordered by maple and evergreen trees. Former students have fond memories of building leaf houses in the fall when the maples were losing leaves.
In 1929 a wire fence was erected along the road in front of the school.
In 1933, in the basement, a dining room was furnished where the children were served a hot drink at noon. Later, because of the dampness of the basement room, the Home Economics equipment was moved upstairs and the spare room, which housed a stage, was furnished as a diner. At the same time the stage was fitted with manual training benches and tools and the subject manual training was added to the program of studies. This room also served as a community hall where meetings and card parties were held.
At one time, there was a movable wall of folding doors in present day Room 3 and 4. This allowed the general purpose room with stage to be greatly enlarged, particularly for school concerts. These were well attended. The school held Christmas concerts which were well attended. There were some mention of spring concerts came in the 1920’s.
In 1937, electricity was installed in the school.
The School Sisters also taught Grades 9 and 10 until 1960 when the classes were discontinued and student went into Kitchener for high school.
In 1965, the school was enlarged with the addition of two new classrooms, two washrooms and a large gymnasium, which doubled as a church hall.
Further expansion took place three years later with two more classrooms, a staff room for the teachers, and a storage room. A new office for the principal and secretary were also installed.